||Teacher: Patsy Butman
Date/Time: Wednesday - 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
Recommended Grades: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Department: Apologetics / Speech & Debate
Grade Level: High School (9th-12th)
This debate class is open to students who have completed at least one year of novice debate. The teaching emphasis will be on advanced debate strategies including various debate case structures, advanced debate theory, critiques, and rebuttal strategies. Parliamentary debate will also be taught.
- Older students (who are new) and who have attended at least one summer debate workshop may attend this class. Instructor’s permission is required. The class will also function as a debate club and brief writing against policy cases is an important component of this class.
- Required: participation in three debate tournaments hosted by Metro Atlanta Forensics Club at Church of the Apostles (most likely). These tournaments take place on Fridays and Saturdays. There is a fall, winter, and spring tournament. Parents are required to attend as guardians of their students and serve as judges for the tournament.
- Parents must also agree to the Statement of Faith provided by StoaUSA.
- Encouraged: As this is a competition club, debaters and their partners are encouraged to other tournaments hosted by Stoa clubs in bordering states such as Tennessee. Debaters will also be encouraged to participate in speech events to supplement their skills.
- Debate rules follow the Stoa Rules & Guidelines.
- Parliamentary debate will be an added component to this class.
Tuition: $275/Sept –Dec*
One-Time supply Fee: $25
Text: Code of the Debater ordered from Amazon (paperback under $20); The Articulate Advocate by Johnson & Hunter
Blue Book Briefs (Discuss this with Mrs. Butman first)