This course builds upon the knowledge gained in Spanish II. It is a proficiency-oriented language instruction. The students will deepen their focus on the four skills in foreign language acquisition: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. However, major emphasis is placed on developing the ability to communicate fluently with accurate pronunciation/intonation and sentence structure, in a variety of authentic contexts. Emphasis is also placed on fostering an appreciation of the culture of Spanish-speaking countries through the study of literature, art, song sequencing, films, games, and cuisine. Skills are developed through more advanced reading, writing, and listening activities, as well as opportunities to practice speaking. Instructions, lectures, group work, activities and assignments are presented in Spanish with minimal English. This is a very dynamic and engaging course. We will not stick to the textbook as our sole resource for learning. True learning goes beyond a textbook. It happens when you engage the student and understand their likes and needs.
The primary objective of my class is for the student to not only learn Spanish well enough to be successful in the next level; but also to love the language and the culture that surrounds the Spanish language. Learning Spanish isn’t just mastering a set of skills. It goes beyond that. It’s having a growth in the complexity of messages, where the student can feel comfortable to engage in his own learning and feel secure that they can use what they have learned inside of the classroom, in the “real world”. At the end of this course, your students should feel confident to carry on conversations in Spanish and have the desire to continue furthering their learning of Spanish as a life-long experience.
The High School Spanish III course helps students:
· Engage in language learning
· Master common and some specialized vocabulary terms and phrases
· Comprehend a wide range of grammar patterns
· Instigate and continue increasingly involved conversations, and respond appropriately to increasingly involved, or open conversational prompts
· Generate language incorporating basic and some specialized vocabulary and a range of grammar patterns
· Read, write, speak, and listen for meaning in Spanish
· Recognize and respond to significant works of literature in Spanish
· Analyze and compare cultural practices, products, and perspectives of various Spanish-speaking countries
· Regularly assess progress in proficiency through projects, tests, and speaking/writing submissions
¡Avancemos Spanish 3! ISBN 978-0-544-86123-7
Cuaderno práctica por niveles 3 (revised)
$86/month for nine months, plus one-time $35 supply fee due on or before the first day of class
Sibling discount available: 2nd child 5% discount; 3rd or more 10% discount
***Online class available. Contact me for more information and enrollment.