||Teacher: Benjamin Lipford
Date/Time: Monday - 12:45 PM to 2:15 PM
Recommended Grades: 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Department: Fine Arts Electives
Grade Level: High School (9th-12th), Middle School (6th-8th)
If your student loves taking photos, this class for them. The goal of the class is to build a technical and artistic foundation, foster your student's artistic vision, and have fun exploring the world through photography. We'll be covering the following topics:
- Technical fundamentals and general camera operation
- Artistic fundamentals
- Portraiture and Lighting
- Documentary and Candid Photography
- Landscape, Architectural, Still Life, and Scenic Photography
- Post Processing and Editing Techniques
- USB Drive or External Hard Drive: 64 GB minimum
- 32GB memory card for your camera and corresponding card reader for your computer.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Photography subscription ($9.99/mo with the student discount)
- A desktop or laptop with the ability to edit photos.
- A tripod is recommended, but not required.
As a minimum, a digital camera with manual mode is required. Your student will get the most out of the class with an interchangeable lens camera. Smart phones are not allowed to be used as cameras in this class.
General camera recommendations are shown below. While the list is not exhaustive, any similar camera is likely acceptable. Feel free to contact me with questions. If you’re looking to buy a new or used camera, feel free to reach out and I can make recommendations for what to buy and where.
- Canon Rebel T3i, EOS 50D, 7D, 6D, 5D, 1D (or newer)
- Nikon D3100, D5100, D7000, D300, D4 (or newer)
- Sony Alpha a5100, a6100, a7, a9 (or newer)
- Fuji X-Pro1, X-T1, X-T10, X-T100, X-E1, X-A1 (or newer)
- Any Canon EOS M or Nikon Z cameras.
- The lens that comes with the camera is totally fine. In addition, either a 24mm, 35mm or 50mm non-zoom lens is also recommended, but not required.
Tuition: $90 per month
Minimum Enrollment (per class): 5
Maximum Enrollment (per class): 12