||Teacher: Patsy Butman
Date/Time: Wednesday - 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
Recommended Grades: 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Department: Apologetics / Speech & Debate
Grade Level: High School (9th-12th), Middle School (6th-8th)
This class is designed to teach beginning debate to middle and high school students who are at least 14 years old. It also functions as part of Metro Atlanta Forensics Speech & Debate Competition Club.
- Policy debate is a style of argumentation that follows a given format with rules such as timed speeches and cross-examinations as well as a judge who decides who wins the round. The yearly resolution for discussion involves current policies of the United States Federal Government regarding domestic and/or foreign affairs.
- The class will debate the current resolution for home-educated students taken from the Stoausa.org website. As much as possible, each student will be paired with another student who is compatible with similar skills and goals for the year. Parental input will be important with the pairings. Basic debate skills include: case-writing, affirmative & negative strategies, disadvantages, critiques, cross-examination techniques, and stock issues.
- Required: participation in three debate tournaments held at Church of the Apostles (most likely). These tournaments take place on Fridays and Saturdays. There is a fall, winter, and spring tournament. Parents are required to attend as guardians of their students and serve as judges for the tournament.
- Parents must also agree with the Statement of Faith provided on the Stoa website.
- Debate rules follow the Stoa Rules & Guidelines, and attendance at other Stoa Tournaments in neighboring states is encouraged but not mandatory. See the Stoausa.org website for more information.
Tuition: $285/Sept –Dec $285/Jan-April
One-time supply fee: $35
Text: Code of the Debater (Purchase from Amazon for under $20); or print the free PDF version
Economics: Principles in Action, by Sheffrin/Sullivan, 2007 Buy USED at Amazon or this link
Monumental Publishing Briefs (Highly recommended to purchase -See Mrs. Butman)