||Teacher: Patsy Butman
Date/Time: Wednesday - 10:45 AM to 12:15 PM
Recommended Grades: 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Department: Apologetics / Speech & Debate
Grade Level: High School (9th-12th), Middle School (6th-8th)
Maximum Enrollment: 20
This course is designed to teach middle and high school students to develop communication skills through a variety of speech events such as: Persuasive, Original Oratory, Expository, Impromptu, Drama Events, Christian Apologetics, Storytelling, etc. This is class is designed for competition that follows the StoaUSA homeschool league.
- Public speaking skills taught with emphasis on topic selection, research, organization, writing and presentation. Additional Concepts: Audience analysis, humor, and vocal & nonverbal delivery.
- There is a fall and spring tournament held at Church of the Apostles. Students are required to attend two tournaments hosted by Metro Atlanta Forensics Club. Parents are required to attend as guardians of their students and serve as judges and volunteer help for the tournament. The instructor must give exceptions to tournament attendance.
- Parents are also required to agree with the Statement of Faith found on the StoaUSA website.
- Categories for the various speech events can be found here.
- Interested students are encouraged to attend other tournaments held in neighboring states.
Tuition: $285/Sept–Dec $285/Jan-April
Supply Fee: one-time supple fee of $35 This includes handouts in lieu of textbook