||Teacher: Kimberly Patterson
Date/Time: Wednesday - 10:45 AM to 12:15 PM
Recommended Grades: 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Department: Apologetics / Speech & Debate
Grade Level: High School (9th-12th), Middle School (6th-8th)
This class is designed to teach beginning debate to middle and high school students who are at least 14 years old. (Those under 14 need to seek permission from the coach.) It also functions as part of Metro Atlanta Speech & Debate Competition Club.
- Policy debate is a style of argumentation that follows a given format with rules such as timed speeches and cross-examinations as well as a judge who decides who wins the round. The yearly resolution for discussion involves current policies of the United States Federal Government regarding domestic and/or foreign affairs.
- The class will debate the current resolution for home-educated students posted on the StoaUSAwebsite by June 1st, 2022. As much as possible, each student will be paired with another student who is compatible with similar skills and goals for the year. Parental input will be important with the pairings. Basic debate skills include: case-writing, affirmative & negative strategies, disadvantages, critiques, cross-examination techniques, and stock issues.
- Required: participation in three debate tournaments held in the Atlanta area. At least two tournaments are held at The Church of the Apostles. These tournaments take place on Thursday, Fridays and/or Saturdays. There is a fall, winter, and spring tournament. Parents are required to attend as guardians of their students and serve as judges for the tournament.
- Parents must also agree with the Statement of Faithprovided on the Stoa website.
- Debate rules follow the Stoa Rules & Guidelines, and attendance at other Stoa Tournaments in neighboring states is encouraged but not mandatory. See the Stoausa.orgwebsite for more information.
Tuition: $425 each per fall and spring semesters
One-time supply/administrative fee: $50 for the year. These fees cover the costs of materials provided to the students as well administrative fees for Metro Academic Studies.
Course Materials: Code of Debater PDF (free download provided), Class Handouts