||Teacher: Benjamin Lipford
Date/Time: Monday - 12:45 PM to 2:15 PM
Recommended Grades: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Department: Fine Arts Electives
Grade Level: High School (9th-12th)
Maximum Enrollment: 12
WHAT’S THIS CLASS ALL ABOUT?
If you’ve taken a photography class, loved it, and want to learn more, this class is for you!
We have the following goals:
- To expand your technical and artistic skills in photography.
- To foster your unique artistic vision.
- To have fun exploring the world through photography.
OVERALL COURSE STRUCTURE
The course will build on the foundations formed from previous coursework to explore more advanced photography and post-processing concepts. Some of those topics include:
- In-depth camera functions and technical skills.
- Advanced natural and studio lighting techniques.
- In-depth post-processing workflows.
- Editing in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.
- Long-term, personal photography project to explore the world through photography.
Becoming a better photographer requires consistent constructive critique, expanding our photographic knowledge, and working out that knowledge through practice. Therefore, classes each week are divided into three parts:
- Critique: Instructor and peer image critique from the previous week’s homework.
- Lecture: Lessons each week build on top of each other.
- Photography Time: Lessons are put into practice individually and in groups with mentoring and coaching.
As a minimum, a digital interchangeable lens camera with manual mode is required. Point-and-shoot, compact cameras, and smart phones are not allowed.
If you have any equipment questions, feel free to reach out via email. If you’re looking to buy a new camera, I can provide recommendations.
- Digital camera
- USB Drive or External Hard Drive: 64 GB minimum
- 32GB memory card for your camera and corresponding card reader for your computer.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Photography subscription ($9.99/mo)
- A desktop or laptop with the ability to edit photos.
9 payments of $90 due monthly.
Minimum Enrollment (per class): 5
Maximum Enrollment (per class): 12
Prerequisites: My previous Intro to Photography class or another similar photography class.