||Teacher: Duran Smith
Date/Time: Monday - 12:45 PM to 2:15 PM
Recommended Grades: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Department: Fine Arts Electives
Grade Level: High School (9th-12th)
Filmmaking is the combination of many art forms, and this class is a basic overview of everything it takes to make a movie! We will look at the fascinating history of motion pictures, discuss the role of media in our lives, and (of course) learn how to write and produce a great film! We'll study great scenes by great directors. Our course will focus on screenwriting, storyboarding, acting, cinematography, sound production, video editing, and the important roles of an efficient film crew. The goals for this class are to give high school students a preview of a college film education and to equip and inspire the next generation of media content creators to create with purpose!
- A reliable digital video camera (of any kind: phone, tablet, DSLR, camcorder, etc.) for personal use only.
- A reliable computer with internet (laptop or desktop at home) for writing and potential video editing.
- A USB flash drive with at least 10 gigabytes of storage.
32 Weeks Total
Fall Semester: 4 months
Spring Semester: 5 months
$90 per month or $810 for a full year
Please pre-pay or make a monthly payment arrangement before each semester.
To pay for courses, please use PayPal or Venmo. Please include the student's name in the description:
Or email to make other payment arrangements.
Students can submit assignments on Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ifvz0So6GSMI9D_UH_I6X7y8FVetk9nq?usp=sharing
Class YouTube Playlist: Film Class: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlVss66aFKB1C6cqF1rKC1wvSnB-do455
Fall Semester: 15 Weeks
August 14th: Introductions / Interests / History of Storytelling
August 21st: Visual Aesthetics in Art
August 28th: Duran Absent
September 11th: Visual Aesthetics in Film
September 18th: Theatre and Mise-En-Scene / Assignment: Visual Aesthetic Pictures (due October 2nd)
September 25th: Mise-En-Scene in Film
October 2nd: Present Visual Aesthetics Pictures / Introduction to Storytelling and Screenwriting
October 9th: The Director / Assignment: Watch Casablanca (due October 23rd)
October 16th: Principles of Cinematography
October 23rd: Cinematography continued / Introduction to Screen Acting / Assignment: Shot Reproduction (due November 6th)
October 30th: The Actor - Classical, Modern, Method / Exercises
November 6th: Present Shot Reproductions / Editing as Film / Assignment: Remake Project (due December 4th)
November 13th: Sound Recording and Design
November 27th: Film Music
December 4th: Present Remake Projects
Spring Semester: 17 Weeks
- Jan. 4th: Art Meets Industry
- Jan. 11th: Film Industry Breakdown
- Jan. 18th: The Writer's Room
- Jan. 25th: Pre-Production Basics (story logline due)
- Feb. 1st: Director and Producer (script outline due)
- Feb. 8th: Screen Acting
- Feb. 22nd: Screenplay Due
- Mar. 1st: Script Breakdown
- Mar. 8th: Scheduling
- Mar. 15th: Grip and Electric
- Mar. 22nd: Camera and Sound
- Mar. 29th: Action!
- Apr. 12th: Production Footage Due / Post-Production Breakdown
- Apr. 19th: Editing
- Apr. 26th: Post-Sound
- May 3rd: Film Scoring
- May 10th: Assignment Due: Present Finished Short Films