GA DOE 40.05100
Mrs. Romanoff has tried to instill a sense wonder in the classroom for over thirty years. Lectures and laboratory experiments will provide the foundation for the class. Mrs. Romanoff believes the laboratory experience is essential to science. In addition, her desire is to assist her students to master the course material; today's' technology makes that possible via email, video conferencing, and phone conversations. Chemistry encompasses the study of matter and its properties. We will explore the atom and its structure, bonding, and reactions: their spontaneity, energy exchanges, and speed. To round things out we will cover solutions, gases, and stoichiometry (quantitative tracking of chemicals in a reaction.)
1) Mastery of Algebra 1. A weakness in math might require an extra year of math to ensure confidence.
2) This is a rigorous course which requires organizational skills and the discipline to complete homework assignments on time in a thorough fashion.
3) Four math worksheets should be completed after registration. I will send those to registered students. The sheets will review math concepts, and identify strengths and weaknesses in graphing data, utilizing a calculator, and algebra skills. The 3 problem sheet is due immediately after registration and the others are due by August 10. I will send feedback immediately.
4) Summer memory work. This is a list of over 60 elements and their symbols as well as 11 polyatomic ions and their symbols that must be memorized before class.
5) Due to our early start Chemistry will not have the usual preliminary classes.
Required memory work: Summer Memory Work (see here)
Text: Exploring Creation with Chemistry (2nd Edition with Solutions Manual) by Dr. Jay Wile.
Supplies: Scientific Calculator needed ($10.00 variety is sufficient), Loose-leaf notebook, Approximately 10 sheets of graph paper.
Tuition: $700 if paid by the beginning of the school year, two payments of $365, or $85.00 for 9 months beginning the week of August 17.
Lab/ Supply Fee $50 a year.
Class size: maximum of 14