||Teacher: Amy Meyer
Date/Time: Wednesday - 12:45 PM to 2:15 PM
Recommended Grades: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
Department: Apologetics / Speech & Debate
Grade Level: High School (9th-12th)
Competitive Speech is designed to teach middle and high school students to develop communication skills through a variety of speech events such Persuasive, Original Oratory, Expository, Impromptu, Drama Events, Christian Apologetics, Storytelling, etc. This class is designed for competition that follows the StoaUSA homeschool league.
- Public speaking skills taught with emphasis on topic selection, research, organization, writing and presentation. Additional Concepts: Audience analysis, humor, and vocal & nonverbal delivery.
- There are 2-3 tournaments held at Church of the Apostles. Students are required to attend at least two tournaments hosted by Metro Atlanta Forensics Club. Parents are required to attend as guardians of their students and serve as judges and volunteer help for the tournament. EXCEPTIONS to tournament attendance must be arranged with the instructor. .
- Many competitors attend tournament offered in other neighboring states as well as in another location in GA.
- Parents are also required to agree with the Statement of Faith found on the StoaUSA website.
- Categories for the various speech events can be found here.
- Interested students are encouraged to attend other tournaments held in neighboring states.
Tuition: $320 fall semester, $390, spring semester
Course materials: TBA